Click to Home
Go To Search
Bonner Elementary
Bonner Elementary
868 George West Engram Boulevard
Bonner Elementary School, formerly known as Cypress Street Elementary School, was built in 1926. Initially, the school consisted of a two-story block and stucco building with two brick wings.

The school’s name was changed in 1954 to honor its first and longest-serving principal, Evelyn Bonner, who headed the school from 1927 to 1959. Before her tenure at Cypress Street Elementary, Ms. Bonner taught at Campbell Elementary for 16 years. Following her retirement, Ms. Bonner continued to visit the school almost daily until her death in 1977 at the age of 85.

In 1996 the National Park Service added Bonner Elementary to the National Register of Historic Places. Bonner Elementary School was one of several Volusia County schools closed in 2008. The building currently houses Chiles Academy, a charter high school for teen parents and their children.