Click to Home
Go To Search
New Mount Zion Missionary Baptist Church
New Mount Zion Missionary Baptist Church
515 Dr. Mary McLeod Bethune Boulevard
Black Baptists in Daytona initially attended Mount Bethel Baptist Church, founded in 1885 in Waycross, a black community on the city’s south side. In 1898, Mount Zion Baptist Church was organized in Midway to meet the needs of the city’s rapidly growing north side African-American population.

Church members first met in an enclosed portion of a saw mill. However, under the leadership of Mount Zion’s first minister, Reverend Walter Jones, a small structure resembling a house was soon erected. After a fire heavily damaged this structure, a new building was completed in 1910.

Continued growth and prosperity led to the construction of the current building during the 1940s under the leadership of Reverend George O. Sumner. A distinguishing characteristic of the church edifice is the numerous ornate stained glass windows. During the late 1960s, the church purchased additional property, and a new parsonage was constructed on Oak Street. The Education Building, which housed the Sunday school and auxiliary activities, was completed in 1989 and dedicated in memory of Reverend George Sumner.