The purpose is to provide incentives in the form of matching grants to encourage the retention and relocation of businesses to targeted areas within the Redevelopment Areas. The program is intended to assist businesses with costs related to signage, awnings and exterior improvements to buildings.
Existing or new businesses within targeted areas of the Redevelopment Areas are eligible to apply for assistance. Generally, the following are targeted areas:
- Main Street Redevelopment Area: Commercial Corridors
- Downtown Redevelopment Area: Beach Street Shopping District
- Midtown: Major Commercial Corridors
In general, the intent of the grant is for visible improvements of the exterior façade for commercial buildings.
Eligible Exterior Improvements
- Installation or rehabilitation of doors or windows
- Signage for new or existing businesses
- Repainting that is consistent with approved color scheme
- Installation or replacement of fabric awnings
Existing businesses may receive awards of up to 50% of the total project cost with no single grant exceeding $2,500.
New, expanded or relocated targeted businesses may receive awards of up to 75% of the total project cost with no single grant exceeding $6,000.
Small Business Facade Grant Application (PDF)
Additional information about the Business Facade Grant program (PDF)